But then one day I got a craving that needed to be satisfied. I decided to bake something that my husband (paleo during weekdays) could eat as well. Not that we would eat bread every day like we used to in the old times. But it’s nice to have some occasionally, with almond butter and jam, or with my daily sunny-side-up breakfast.
Of course, avoiding the main ingredient of the usual bread (wheat) and its non-paleo substitutes means that most of the paleo breads are very heavy, consisting of a lot of eggs and almond flour. I like them anyway, but you must admit – to eat egg-with-almond-flour tasting thing with almond butter is not so tempting. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice light piece bread without compromising your diet?
Now you can. Honestly, I *could* eat this one every day.
The trick is in arrowroot flour and in beating the egg whites. Actually I do that with every bread or cake paleo recipe even though recipes rarely mention it. It makes the dough much lighter, try it yourself!
Paleo bread that tastes like the evil kind of bread
Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup of arrowroot flour
- 1 cup of flaxseed meal
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 6 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 4 tablespoons of macadamia oil
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
- Your favorite seeds (optional)
- More oil for the muffin tray*
Instructions
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Separate the eggs and whisk egg whites until they form stiff foam (do not overbeat).
- Whisk in yolks, macadamia oil and vinegar.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients.
- Set your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Oil your muffin tray first, then scoop batter in, filling holes up to ¾. Sprinkle with chia seeds or black sesame or whatever you fancy.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the toothpick (or better thin skewer) comes out clean
*I now mostly use muffin tray for bread – as an easy reminder that bread is not my staple anymore, but something special to be enjoyed fully, but in moderation. With my mini-muffin tray this recipe gives 12 mini-muffin breads and one small round loaf I bake in a small 12 cm tin. If you want the traditional rectangular loaf, the dose should be just about right for 10x20 cm loaf tin.
This recipe was inspired by Paleo Effect, but I had to do some changes. Main change was to use 6 whole eggs instead of 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. I already have 1 excess egg yolk every day and I don't really know how to use them. If you beat the egg whites first, bread will still be fluffy and soft enough.
By the way if you have suggestion how to use egg yolks, please let me know!



No comments:
Post a Comment