gf matcha cheesecake

gf matcha cheesecake

Saturday, 7 June 2014

Paleo blueberry and strawberry muffins

When life gives you berries, take as much as you can and bake some muffins!



Yes I know, life does not give any berries. It’s the people who grow them, transport them to your market or grocery store and sell them to you, and your earned money. So in honor of all that work, you should make something nice, right?



Blueberries and strawberries are not only tasty, but they’re also healthy. Blueberries are good source of vitamin C and K, fiber and manganese, and according to some of the new studies they have positive impact on both your heart and brain. Strawberries contain potassium and magnesium and good load of vitamin C, on top of that they are supposed to have anti-inflammatory effect and anti-ageing properties. So they’re tasty, healthy and make you look young - who would not love that?

When I see they’re on sale, I just can’t resist. Yes, taste of the store bought berries is far from those that I used to pick with my family in the woods around our cottage, but I decided to live 10,000 km far from those woods and my family so I have to settle for the substitute.

I could not find paleo muffin recipe that I’d like, so I decided to just bake simple muffins from scratch. It worked so well that I’m happy with the recipe after second trial, it’s just how I imagined it to be – light and fruity-moist.
I divided the batter to 2 halves as I did not want to mix the berries. You can play with it - use only one kind, or mix them.

Paleo blueberry and strawberry muffins

Ingredients

  • 2 cups superfine almond meal
  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 3 sticks stevia and 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • ½ cup coconut cream (mixed with a bit water if it's thick)
  • 100g blueberries
  • 90g strawberries chopped to small cubes


Instructions 

  1. Mix dry ingredients and sift them.
  2. Separate eggs and beat egg whites with stevia until they’re fluffy. Add egg yolks and continue beating. Add honey, mashed banana, vanilla essence and coconut cream with water.
  3. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, continue beating. The batter will be quite liquid.
  4. Pour half of the batter to a different bowl.
  5. Gently mix in blueberries to one half, and strawberries to the other.
  6. Spoon to muffin tin. I only have mini-muffin tin, so for these I used the small cupcake cups, gaining 18 muffins. Try to avoid having berries on the bottom of the cup, muffins will be easier to eat. When you finish spooning first batter, turn the oven on to 175 degrees C.
  7. When the oven is preheated, bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear.


If you prefer it to be sweeter, add more honey or stevia, or just serve with a few drops of honey. Of course, the best way to serve is with fresh berries!



No comments:

Post a Comment